On the five-point scale in our grant readiness assessment, organizations exceptional (5) at internal controls:
- Written procedures in place to maintain control over assets, records, expenditures and so on;
- Segregation of duties between employees that initiate, approve and record expenses;
- A periodic comparison of expenditures and reports to supporting documents;
- Supervisory review of reports to assure accuracy and completeness of data and information included;
- Procedures to identify and resolve compliance issues;
- Unallowable expenses adjusted with follow-up action taken to determine the cause and to prevent future occurrences;
- A procedure to verify the eligibility of people receiving services;
- Written policy establishing responsibility and procedures for periodic monitoring, verification and reporting of program progress and accomplishments; and
- Periodic independent evaluation of expenditures, reports and supporting documents.
Download the complete grant readiness assessment.