On the five-point scale in our grant readiness assessment, organizations exceptional (5) with their accounting system:
- Have an automated accounting system;
- Program managers regularly review expenditures and budget balances for accuracy;
- A system that identifies the receipt and expenditure of program funds separately for each grant or contract;
- A system that records expenses to specific cost categories in the approved budget;
- A system that allows for the comparison of expenses with budget amounts;
- A system that generates accurate and reliable reports;
- Top management reviews expenditures and budget balances for accuracy;
- A system that prevents spending in excess of (1) total funds available and/or (2) total funds available in individual expenses categories;
- A system that prevents expenditures after grants close; and
- A system that can segregate direct and indirect expenses.
Download the complete grant readiness assessment.